Issue with Language text in minified file.

Dec 23, 2011 at 2:11 PM

Hi All,

I am running ajaxmin.exe on one of my js files which contains this line:

"AddNewTab" : "Neues Register hinzufügen",

But when it comes through in the minified version it comes through with:

Replacing foreign chars with ????. This works fine in jsmin.

Is this a bug? Or is there some option i can set to make this work correctly?

Dec 25, 2011 at 8:44 PM

You probably just have an encoding issue. By default AjaxMin assumes the input file is saved as UTF-8. Looks like your file might be in a different encoding. Do you know what encoding it was saved as? If so, try the -enc:in switch, specifying the encoding name as the next command-line token. If the encoding is, for example, Western European ISO, add this to the command-line:  -enc:in iso-8859-1. You can find a table of acceptable names in the Remarks section of

If you can't get it to work, feel free to send me the file and I'll investigate further.

Dec 28, 2011 at 6:25 AM

our website page~~LED products from China

we are new international LED e-commerce platform.

we need your suggestion, help us improve our website~!

Dec 28, 2011 at 12:37 PM

Thanks Ronlo, Looks like

ajaxmin.exe myFile.js -o myFile.min.js -clobber -enc:in utf-8 -enc:out utf-8

Has solved it the file was Utf-8 without bom.

Jun 16, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Yep, I have found ajaxmin does not recognise UTF-8 files unless they have a BOM and treats them as ansi I think. I'll have to specify that switch.

Jul 10, 2012 at 10:15 AM

How can i use "-enc:in utf-8" with "-xml name" option?

I tryed: 
-enc:in utf-8 -enc:out utf-8  -xml fileName.xml 

but it doesn't work. I always get "???" chars in output file.

And the input files is utf-8 encoded.

Jul 10, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Odd. Are you sure all your encodings are correct? The -enc:in and -enc:out switches should set the default input and output encodings for the files specified in your XML input file. In addition, each <output> and <input> element can contain their own overrides for the their individual encodings using the encoding attribute. So I created this file and saved it in BIG5 encoding:

// xmlinput1.js
// use BIG5 encoding
var nihao = "你好。";

And this file, saved as KOI8-R:

// xmlinput2.js
// use KOI8-R (Cyrillic)
var рон = "Меня зовут Рон.";

Then I used this as my XML input file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
output encoding="utf-8" path="xmloutput.js">
input path="xmlinput1.js"/>
input path="xmlinput2.js"/>

When I just run ajaxmin -xml xmlinput.xml -clobber (with no encoding parameters), the xmloutput.js file is all horked. If I pass -enc:in koi-8, the Russian file decodes properly but the Chinese file does not; when I pass -enc:in big5, the Chinese files decodes properly, but the Russian file doesn't. And if I change the XML to be this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
output encoding="utf-8" path="xmloutput.js">
input path="xmlinput1.js" encoding="big5"/>
input path="xmlinput2.js" encoding="koi8-r"/>

They both encode properly, no matter what I use for the value of the command line -enc:in switch.

And as a side note, if I change the encoding attribute on my <output> element to "ascii" I get properly escaped JavaScript from the properly decoded input files:

var nihao="\u4f60\u597d\u3002";var \u0440\u043e\u043d="\u041c\u0435\u043d\u044f \u0437\u043e\u0432\u0443\u0442 \u0420\u043e\u043d."

Jul 10, 2012 at 4:55 PM

ok i checked all.

input file js utf-8 with "no digital firm" (VS2010 says so)

Using ajaxmin -xml xmlinput.xml  doesn't work: output file is utf-8 but "è" become "?"

Using ajaxmin -enc:in utf-8 -enc:out utf-8  -xml xmlinput.xml  doesn't work: output file is utf-8 but "è" become "?"

Using ajaxmin -xml xmlinput.xml with <output path="file-out.js" encoding="utf-8"><input path="file-in.js" encoding="utf-8"/></output> works but output file is utf-8 with "digital firm" (VS2010 says so)

Jul 10, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Any chance you can zip up the files and send them to me so I can step through the debugger and see what's going wrong?

Jul 10, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Oh, wait -- I think it has to do with the -enc:out parameter. I've been using the encoding attribute in the XML outputting to UTF-8 -- but if I leave off that attribute and try to set the output as -enc:out utf-8, it fails because the default output is ASCII. Let me dig into this a little more....

Jul 10, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Well, there's one problem: I'm not passing in the -enc:out encoding name as the default if the XML doesn't say what to use! So if the XML <output> element doesn't have an encoding attribute, the default output encoding (ASCII) is used. I don't think that's everything that's going on for you, though, since if that were it, the è in the output would just be JS-encoded. If you explicitly set the encoding attribute on the <output> element, does that help at all, though?

Jul 10, 2012 at 5:34 PM
Edited Jul 10, 2012 at 5:35 PM

if explicitly set the encoding attribute on the <output> element, it's all ok... "è" remains "è"
except the differences between BOM (out file) and no-BOM (input file) (i don't know if "digital firm" means BOM but i think so) ----> But this is a non-problem.

Could u set the default out-encoding to utf-8 if the input is utf-8 using the xml?

Jul 10, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Sounds like a reasonable request. In fact, I'm wondering if the default output encoding should always be UTF-8 (unless otherwise set by the -enc:out switch).

Jul 10, 2012 at 5:42 PM

if i explicitly set the encoding attribute on the <output> element BUT not for the <input>element, "è" -> "??" and the out file is utf-8 (with-BOM) (checked with VS2010)

so the problem is that i have to specify the encoding for the <input> cause the ajaxmin can't auto-find the utf-8 with NO-BOM.

I saved the input file with php-ed v7.0

Jul 10, 2012 at 6:42 PM

That's because [currently] the default input encoding for AjaxMin if you don't specify anything is ASCII. So if you try to feed a UTF-8 file into AjaxMin without explicitly saying it's UTF-8, you'll get funky question-mark characters for UTF-8 encoded non-ascii characters, because it's expecting ASCII. Not that I like that behavior; just saying what it's currently doing.

The good news is that I had already checked in a change last week to make the default input encoding UTF-8. So with the next release you won't have to specify the input encoding if the file is UTF-8, because that will be the default. The default output encoding is still ASCII, though. I did a little research, and it doesn't look like .NET will tell you the encoding of a text file automatically. The stream objects pretty much just tell you what encoding was passed to it in the constructor, and if you pass null it will detect a BOM, but no other encodings will report correctly. So automatically setting the output encoding depending on the input encoding seems a little prone to assumptions and weird failures [to me]. I'm going to have to stick with the developer specifying the encodings. Having the input default to UTF-8 will be helpful, though, since most dev tools nowadays seem to save as UTF-8 by default. Now, I am still open to changing the default output encoding to UTF-8 too, if that makes sense to people. I think most web servers can serve up UTF-8 and clients can consume them just fine.

Jul 10, 2012 at 10:14 PM

ok for me,
input and output default to utf-8 :)