Capitalisation issue in class names beginning with 'u'

Jul 12, 2011 at 6:22 AM

When trying to minify a CSS class that begins with the letter u, the parser will try to match the full class name against the string URL(

In the event of the full string not matching, it will then try to re-use the characters that it was able to match - which at some point then forces the capitalisation of the first letter in the class name.

For instance.

The following styles:

.vright {
}
.uright {
}
.wright {
}

will minify to

.vright{}.Uright{}.wright{}

Note the capitalisation in the second style.

Coordinator
Jul 12, 2011 at 4:10 PM

That is messed-up -- great catch, thanks Bob. I'll get that fixed right away. Luckily CSS is case-insensitive.

Coordinator
Jul 12, 2011 at 4:48 PM

Okay, this will be fixed in the next release (changeset #76827). Just for future reference, this should have been entered into the Issue Tracker, not as a Discussion.

Jul 12, 2011 at 11:06 PM

Ack! Not so sure about that case-insensitive comment!

* Id and Class attributes are case-sensitive
* Tag names are case-sensitive when used with XHTML.

See http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/selector.html 
https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Case_Sensitivity_in_class_and_id_Names#Why_So_Case-Sensitive.3F

Coordinator
Jul 12, 2011 at 11:13 PM

Yes, you are entirely correct. I'll try to keep the sarcasm to a minimum in the future. :)

Jul 13, 2011 at 8:51 AM
ronlo wrote:

Okay, this will be fixed in the next release (changeset #76827). Just for future reference, this should have been entered into the Issue Tracker, not as a Discussion.

Makes sense to me now ronlo, thanks for the advice.

I'd originally followed the 'contribute' link from here which led me down the wrong issue tracking procedure which requires bug validation before it can be added it to the tracker. I was in the same mindset when I found my way to this site.

It's great to see this looked at so quickly, we were scratching our heads over why this was happening for longer than it took for you to fix it.  :D

Coordinator
Jul 18, 2011 at 8:38 PM

This has now been fixed in release 4.25.